This week was centred around excursions and working them into the weeks schooling.
Music (Creative and Practical Arts) – Following on from last week, this week we went on an excursion to Chatswood to get Robin and Wren fitted for Violins at the Sydney String Centre as next week they begin Suzuki violin lessons.
- Discussed sizing instruments to people – fractions
- Listened to the new CDs that support the violin lessons
- Reviewed Pythagorus and the Ratios – relationship of length and thickness of strings determines the sound
Going Places (HSIE) – As part of the journey, Robin was tasked with navigating from Chatswood train station to the destination and how to get home again.
- Printed off a map from Google to work out how to get there
- Discussed options on how to get there and how we could return (train station or bus stop)
- Orientation, finding how to orient map to ground
- Discussed how the different platforms work and how to check the indicator board for where trains stop (or don’t)
- Discussed how we could do the journey differently next time; 2 trains and a long walk, or 1 train and 1 bus for increased fare and how to work out the trade off
An interesting aside, Robin made the connection between the eTag in the car and how it operated in the same way as the Opal card.
Whilst on our travels we saw the Voyager of the Seas cruise ship and this led to a discussion on cruise ships and how different ships have different designs depending on their job. We recapped last week’s excursion to the Maritime Museum and what the functions of the vessels they went on were and a documentary on ice breakers (SBS Online) we watched two weeks previous.
Finally we discussed bridges an their functions – Harbour bridge vs. Footway at Darling Harbour. How the ability of the footway to open and the height of the Harbour Bridge enable, or restrict the type of vessel that can go through/under.
Reading – Reading aloud to both Robin and Wren this week as part of the GOING PLACES work we covered:
- Ernest Shackleton – Polar explorer
- Frances Drake – pirate and explorer
Excursion– Picked up photo albums documenting last year’s work and activities.
Maths – We started Doubling! So we did doubling, doubling and more doubling. In addition to this we:
- went to COSCO and talked about unit pricing and competition in marketplace
- Tested funbrain.com maths games
- Sentence recipe
- Subject of a sentence
- Predicate within a sentence
Read aloud – The following was read aloud by Robin:
- Genesis 40-46 – Joseph and Pharaoh
Creative and Practical Arts – This week was a low impact week, due to all the excursions so we worked on a number of projects
- Started getting building the “Spooky House diorama” from My First Batteries and Magnets book
- Printed and coloured in anatomical diagrams of human skeletons
- As a continuation of the Ernest Shackleton reading we created lots and lots of snowflakes.
Watched – Alice in Wonderland (Disney 1951) including the making of.